The Velveteen Rabbit

here's how I'm looking at things...

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

Welcome to Taking Lessons from Toys!
Let's talk about the things that matter to a nineteen (and counting) year old: poetry, music, amazing places, and food...

A Place for Poetry...

half of me on land

[sitting in front of the ocean: 8.02.09; 7:35 am]

i’m imaginary while stationary

next to the woman who wakes the gods that I do not believe in

the gods in the haze, the swell

before noon, the little girl in me

breezed away, swept over,

overlooked, the little girl in me

only under my toe, only thicker

than the froth, the washed up

entities, my self, my fears:

the wars, whatever I am crying about

i ask the sun saluter

to my right to intercess, maybe it’ll

mean something more when she

reaches up

it just might within the slight

dusting of light and grain beneath

me, I may cry forever and

never cry again and I myself

may gently salute the sun

Monday, March 21, 2011

Gorgeous Song, Gorgeous video

Compliments of my boyfriend...

No comments:

Post a Comment